Normally to grease the hubs you must remove the cover (some set-ups need the tires removed others do not), then remove the cotter pin, unbolt the centre locking device. Now I say locking device because it is not always a large nut, just something to lock the bearings in place.
Next you must remove the bearings, clean them completely then compact grease them. Double check that the grease is impacted around the bearings then re-install, doing everything in reverse!
Addition of the grease nipples on the hub covers ensures the following;
– daily to monthly greasings mean security for the bearings
– ease and quickness of greasing the hubs to the point of just a few pumps a month
– no more big grease the hubs adventures in the spring when there is so much more to do
– grease just before winter storage, drive the trailer around the yard or to town to make sure the grease is warmed and flowing around the bearings
– park the trailer, add one to two more pumps, then in the spring, do that again and hook
OFF you go!
WOW so simple and fast so easy, so why have I never seen anyone do this before?
To make this mod yourself;
– remove the bearing hubs,
– drill a hole for the grease nipple
– install grease nipples on the hubs
– replace onto the trailer hubs, make sure they are on snug
– grease them up, drive till warm
– grease one more time to make sure the cavity is full now and you have the proper amount of grease in there
Now off to another maintenance job, or plant more seedlings, or play with the dog, or the Girlfriend or Wife (note those activities although playtime would be different per person involved!)
all pages and writings copyright @ WildernessReturn